…Locally Grown…Sustainable…Freshly Picked… Chemical-Free…
Here at Sunny Slope Farm our volunteers are what makes our growing season so much fun, productive and bountiful. Volunteers may choose to stay for an hour to weed a row or two, spend an afternoon planting seedlings, or help on harvest day once a week. We are grateful for any time you can donate! Except for harvest day, all work is done outdoors, rain or shine. Our most common tasks are planting seeds in the greenhouse, transplanting seedlings into raised beds, cultivating crops and harvesting the mature plants. We also wash, weigh and record the produce totals prior to weekly CSA pick up’s or donation. There are also chicken care opportunities. We provide all of the necessary tools and training. No experience necessary!
BE PREPARED FOR A GREAT VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE!
- You will get dirty, wear comfortable old clothes and no sandals or open-toed shoes, please.
- Dress in layers to adapt to changing conditions, and bring rain gear if in the forecast. We work in the rain.
- You will likely be getting dusty/dirty/muddy/sweaty, depending on the conditions that day. It is advised to bring a change of clothing if you are going somewhere immediately afterwards that requires you to be clean and tidy!
- Don’t forget to bring any special medical items (inhaler, epi-pen) and alert staff before volunteering.
- Bring a refillable water bottle.
- Pace yourself – You know yourself best. Listen to your body and take breaks as needed.
- If you like to work with gloves, we’ll have them available – feel free to bring your own, also.
- We greatly prefer that you do not check your cell phone or take calls unless necessary. Using phones to take a photo or two of your awesome experience is definitely OK!